A Piece of Cake Designs A Piece of Cake Designs home FAQs view cart

Monday 19 January 2015

Messy Monday with Aimee Dow


Hi! Welcome to another Messy Monday here on the APOCD Blog. I'm here today to get metaphorically messy. I say that because I am not really going to get physically messy. The thought of that terrifies me. Instead, we are going to talk about the type of 'messy' you need to find when your stuck in a creative rut and to help me, I have the leftovers from my December Kit.


Lately, I have had such a hard time creating. It's not that what I do create is bad, it's just... well it all looks the same. It drives me nuts. I want to be innovative, but then my brain and muscle memory kick in and naturally the result is the same. 'Love, Love, Love' is not the same. It's very different.


For starters 'Love, Love, Love' was created on the floor. Sometimes a change of scene is as good as a holiday. It certainly made a difference to me.  


Second: I limited my resources. I only let myself use what was left in my kit box. The only exception being the yellow enamel heart at the top because something had to go there and I couldn't find anything in the box and it was driving my nuts.


Third: I tried a ton of techniques all together. I stamped on the background, I splashed paint around, I sewed and stapled stuff down and then tore them back up. I even tried out an old notebook punch I found.


Finally, I worked hard to create layers and stacks before I put the layout together. This may not sound like a big deal, but for me its huge. There is SIX layers here peeps - for me that's virtually unheard of.

My approach may have indeed been 'messy', but for a change I got the desired result - something that looks nothing like anything I have done before. If you are feeling stuck, why not give a few or even all of these tips a try. You can even pick Decembers kit up on sale over here and try it with the exact same supplies as me. I would love to see what you come up with.

Aimee xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
A Piece of Cake Designs Blog, All Rights Reserved
Blog Theme by Mod Melon Creative